FAQs for Resident Services

What does the EHHA do?
The Housing Authority of the City of East Hartford is an independent agency that provides housing for low and moderate income families, seniors and non-elderly disabled.  Our purpose is to provide quality housing units for our residents by rehabilitating or revitalizing our housing stock and by creating opportunities for homeownership and affordable housing.  We will work diligently to find and provide resources necessary to improve the opportunities for success of our residents with programs fostering economic self-sufficiency.  It is also our objective to help end homelessness in our community by collaborating with local, State and Federal agencies.

Is the EHHA part of HUD?
No. Although the EHHA does receive a lot of funding from HUD, we are not a local branch.

Where does EHHA operate?
The East Hartford Housing Authority's main office is at 546 Burnside Ave. East Hartford, CT. EHHA properties are located throughout the City of East Hartford at various locations. The EHHA serves residents in the East Hartford and surrounding communities.

What types of housing programs does EHHA operate?
The East Hartford Housing Authority operates housing programs for residents seeking Section 8 Housing, Public Housing, Senior and Elderly Housing, Nonelderly Disabled Housing, and Family Housing Units.

Does the EHHA assist in employment information or job training?
The Resident Service Coordinator can assist residents with employment information and interview skills classes.

What is subsidized housing?
Subsidized housing refers to housing units that are funded entirely or partially by the government.

What is public housing?
Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single family houses to high-rise apartments for elderly families. There are approximately 1.2 million households living in public housing units, managed by some 3,300 HAs. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers Federal aid to local housing agencies (HAs) that manage the housing for low-income residents at rents they can afford. HUD furnishes technical and professional assistance in planning, developing and managing these developments. (Source: www.hud.gov)

How long can I stay in public housing?
In general, you may stay in public housing as long as you comply with the lease.
If, at re-examination your family's income is sufficient to obtain housing on the private market, the HA may determine whether your family should stay in public housing. You will not be required to move unless there is affordable housing available for you on the private market. (Source: www.hud.gov)

If my sink is leaking or my heat is not working, who will fix it?
Please see Work Order/Maintenance page for information.

Where should I send my rent?
Please see Rent Payment Options page for information.

When does my rent have to be paid by?
Rent must be paid by the 10th of every month. Rent can be paid by check or money order, no cash or credit cards accepted.

Are pets allowed in public housing?
The East Hartford Housing Authority does not allow pets in their public housing units, except for fish, birds, and service/reasonable accommodation animals. See Pet Policy for more information.

You can request more information by calling your site Housing Coordinator or Property Manager.